[ubuntu-uk] {Spam?} Re: transferring files between Ubuntu and XP slow!!!!

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Thu May 15 21:36:31 BST 2008

Javad Ayaz wrote:
> just a quick update!this is my ethernet connection on the xp machine!
> *Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller
>
> it has limit of 10mbs so maybe that the problem....my transfer is still
> going at the rate of 47.7KBs

Hello, Javad.

The 3C920 is capable of both 10Mb/s and 100Mb/s, according to what it
negotiates with your router.

Try testing the connection using e.g. WinSCP instead of Samba:

	http://winscp.net

This will help you to establish if it's your Windows networking that's
at fault, or a more general problem with your network. Also make sure
that NetBUI is *NOT* enabled on your Windows PC. Samba does not work
properly on Windows networks if NetBUI is active. One problem is the
large number of 'elections' that NetBUI forces and wins, because it is
not aware of the Samba server.

Also make sure that you don't have two devices with the same IP address
on your network - That slows things down a lot ;-)

You could, of course, boot an Ubuntu live CD on your Windows PC, and
test your network connection that way!

Good luck,

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687