[ubuntu-uk] transferring files between Ubuntu and XP slow!!!!

Javad Ayaz javadayaz at gmail.com
Thu May 15 15:01:07 BST 2008

im trying to set up a lan on my ubuntu (primary) and xp pc's. I have samba
installed and also clicked on the appropriate folder/file rightclicked and
set it to share.
On XP ive run the network wizard.
...i can see the files...and i try copying them over to my xp pc. Only thing
is it is extremely slow. a 158megabyte file was going to take 84 mins.....i
copied a 3gb file last night and this morning only 15% was done....

...so my question is, is there anyway of making this process faster?

background info!

dual core pc-ubuntu
dell pentuim 3 or 4 (cant remember which)- XP
wire connection via linksys BEFRS41 router.
Crossover cable!

Ive searched the net and it seems to be a common problem!

Apologies if this issue has been raised...but i couldnt find an answer!