[ubuntu-uk] a new laptop

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Thu May 15 12:07:03 BST 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:34 PM, Andrew Oakley <andrew at aoakley.com> wrote:

> Johnathon Tinsley wrote:
> > It'll have an American power supply
>
> And, presumably, an American keyboard (no Pound Sterling symbol on the 3
> key, for example, and the double-quotes relocated elsewhere).
>
> If you're a touch typist, steer well clear of importing laptops unless
> you're sure you'll get a UK keyboard.

This is always a bit of a trial... do you get used to the US layout, in
which case the keyboard matches what appears on screen, or set up Ubuntu to
use a UK layout despite the fact the keyboard "says" something different...
US isn't that hard to get used to, to be honest... not as bad as the German
("QWERTZ") or French ("AZERTY") which is a complete headtrip... was on a
course in Munich for 2 weeks and never got used to the former at all...

I can switch pretty much between US and UK intuitively these days... it's
not that many keys in different places.

Sean