[ubuntu-uk] watch tv on ubuntu!

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Mon May 12 14:08:38 BST 2008

Daniel,

Daniel Lamb wrote:
> This is all well and good what the bbc say however as you are not
> recieving a transmission it would be harder for them to track surely,
> obviously they could track it by ip address however that would mean
> zattoo would need to work with them,

I think they work by harassing addresses that do not have a license!
This was my experience several years ago when I lived by myself and did
not have a TV and thus no license. I was repeatedly harassed with
requests along the lines of 'why do you not have a TV license?' This
always annoyed me as I felt I should not have to justify the lack of a
TV license, after all I didn't have to tell the police why I didn't have
a gun license or the post office why I didn't have a dog license,etc.

So if you live at an address which is not covered by a TV license, you
can expect a visit at some time!

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold