[ubuntu-uk] watch tv on ubuntu!

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Mon May 12 12:20:31 BST 2008

Tony Arnold wrote:
> I agree, but portable devices are covered by your home license and a
> portable device is one that does not need mains power. So a student at
> University could watch TV on a portable device which would be covered by
> his/her parents license back home.

Correct - the important part is "does not need mains power"; it must
contain its own batteries inside its own case.

I recall from student days that a 14" portable TV with an optional
12-volt power input attached to a car battery, required the student to
have their own TV licence, as the battery was not contained within the
case of the device.

A laptop, however, definitely does have the battery within the case, so
a student living away from home could use the laptop to watch TV on
their parents' TV licence, provided they never watched TV with the mains
charger attached.

I just tried out Zattoo myself and was very impressed. I wonder how much
outbound bandwidth the peer-to-peer part consumes?

--
Andrew Oakley