[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu UK Podcast Episode 5 out!

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Thu May 8 10:02:07 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 00:04 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi all..
>
> We released episode 5 of the podcast today. Here's the link:-
>
> http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/2008/05/07/s01e05-everybody-come-aboard/
>
> As always feedback and comments are welcome, both positive and negative.

Hi,

Great show once again.

There was some discussion of apt vs. update-manager, and I wanted to add
a couple of comments to that.

update-manager does a few things over and above what apt does. Firstly
it is given some knowledge about Ubuntu, so, for example if you have
ubuntu-desktop installed when it runs it won't allow it to be removed,
whereas apt may remove it if there are conflicts or similar. This means
that when you upgrade you will stay with Ubuntu and get the new stuff
for this release and all the following ones.

Another thing it does is run some extra scripts after upgrading all
of the packages. These do distro-wide transitions, and as such can't
go in the packages themselves. This could be things like cleaning up
after the python 2.4 -> 2.5 transition, or removing obsolete packages.
This is more important for LTS->LTS upgrades, as they require more
things like this.

You can use apt to upgrade if you wish, and you will still have a
working system. However you may have to do some things manually which
update-manager would do for you.

Note that if you are the sort of person that upgrades at alpha/beta time
or even earlier then update-manager will buy you very little.

Thanks,

James