[ubuntu-uk] Hardy crashing

James Tyrrell james.r.tyrrell at googlemail.com
Wed May 7 13:24:45 BST 2008

2008/5/7 Thomas Ibbotson <thomas.ibbotson at gmail.com>:

> James Tyrrell wrote:
> >

> > 2008/5/7 Thomas Ibbotson <thomas.ibbotson at gmail.com
> > <mailto:thomas.ibbotson at gmail.com>>:
> >
> >     Hi all,
> >
> >     Has anyone had Hardy crash recently? It has happened now twice to
> >     me in
> >     the last couple of days, once on my desktop and now once on my
> >     laptop. I
> >     think I was trying to watch a flash video in firefox the first time
> >     although I'm not sure. The second time it was on trying to play a
> .ram
> >     in totem. It was a hard crash, I couldn't do anything except do a
> hard
> >     reboot, CTRL-Backspace and CTRL-ALT-F1 did not do anything.
> >

> > Hey when you say crashed were you still able to move your mouse? Or
> > was that a no go, I've had a similar problem where the system just
> > locks, no keyboard commands do anything and while I can move the mouse
> > the system needs a hard restart to fix the problem. Usually
> > (suspiciously...) if I have OpenOffice open.
> >

> No, I wasn't able to move my mouse either, it was a complete freeze.

Sounds like a different issue to mine then, I was wondering for both Thomas'
and my sake, what is the best way of debugging and finding the cause of
these issues, I mean we can't just look at the terminal output as the screen
locks.

Where should one go after the reboot, or what tool should one set going in
the background to log the issue as it occurs, otherwise it's quite difficult
to write up a bug report. "System hangs" isn't that descriptive.