[ubuntu-uk] weird login/sudo problem

Stuart.Houghton at amnesty.org.uk Stuart.Houghton at amnesty.org.uk
Wed May 7 12:16:21 BST 2008

Hi, I've been running Hardy Heron for a couple of weeks now and am fairly
happy with it (apart from PulseAudio, which I am choosing to ignore) but I
have just noticed something odd.

When I try to run a command with sudo (e.g. sudo apt-get-upate) I am asked
for my password.  I enter the password, and the command runs with the
appropriate sudo'd privileges.  On closer inspection, though, it looks
like I get a error (literally, 'Error!') right after I enter the password.

I assume authentication works ok as the commend still runs just fine. What
could the error be?

I am also getting a dialog box - empty apart from the word 'Error' - when
I log in via GDM.  Again, the login works fine so I can;t see what the
error dialog relates to.

The only thing I can think of is that I installed Likewise to join a
Windows domain.  Could the system be trying to authenticate against that
as well?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stuart Houghton
Technical Support Officer