[ubuntu-uk] recording sound

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue May 6 17:35:37 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 15:34 +0100, norman wrote:
> I have bee4n asked to record some speech on a website to do with Higher
> level French. The file is .swf and will not open on the applications I
> have with Ubuntu 8.04. Could someone point me in the right direction
> please.

It depends. swf may be a flash thing or it may be shockwave. There is no
shockwave player for Linux - full stop.

One way I've got around things like this is to do this:-

Install WINE
Go to mozilla website and download installer for Firefox for _windows_
Run the firefox for windows installer under WINE
Go to Adobe site in Firefox for Windows under WINE
 - Install flash plugin
 - Install shockwave plugin
Visit evil website that uses shockwave plugin
Winner!

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Al.