[ubuntu-uk] Upgrading to Hardy- Trying to make it easy!

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Fri May 2 10:45:33 BST 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 09:00 +0100, Javad Ayaz wrote:
> I want to have all the apps that i have installed now..including
> firefox addons and bookmarks....

Burn /home (and all the directories/files starting with a ".") to a
CD/DVD

> Short of taking screendumps of everything...is there another way?

as root:

dpkg --get-selections >> ~/current.packages

Check this file and remove any that you don't recognise/want to be
installed on the new version, then save it to a backup somewhere.

When you have the new system installed, run (as root)

dpkg --set-selections < /path/to/backup/current.packages

it should then install all the packages that are listed in that file
_and_ pull in any dependencies.

Hope this helps,

Matt.

--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace
matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk

Don't let them take your data - http://www.badphorm.co.uk/

Please use ISO Approved file formats (.odt/.ods/.odp/.odg/.pdf) for
attachments.  If you wish to convert legacy Microsoft documents to these
formats, please use Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org/)