[ubuntu-uk] Upgrading to Hardy- Trying to make it easy!

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri May 2 09:11:04 BST 2008

Javad Ayaz wrote:
> Ok im considering a fresh install of Hardy (note not a upgrade).
>
> I want to have all the apps that i have installed now..including firefox
> addons and bookmarks....
>
> Short of taking screendumps of everything...is there another way?
>
> Hope this makes sense
>
> Regards
>
> Javad

For starters, backup your home directory (this is where a separate
partition for /home comes in really really handy).

This may help you with what packages you currently have installed:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-get-list-installed-software-reinstallation-restore.html

IIRC you might be worth doing a backup of /etc too just in case you need it.

You should be able to burn everything on to a CD (or DVD) through the
CD/DVD creator by dragging everything over (copy it, not move!).

Rob