[ubuntu-uk] Ripping and converting a dvd!

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Thu May 1 18:33:35 BST 2008

Javad Ayaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A bit of a weird one this. I want to rip a DVD and then convert it to
> avi.
> Only thing is i have media centre pc and in that pc i have a dual core
> 6600. Coz of lack of space it gets extremely hot..and is automatically
> set to shut down when it reaches a certain temp ( tht temp being 80 deg).
> So basically i want something that whilst converting and ripping i can
> pause....let the temp cool down a bit...and then resume after.
>
> Its prob a long shot...but i thought worth a try!!!
Not sure if avidemux will do the job.  You might want to look into a
better cooling solution though if your box is running hot.  I went for a
Zalman cooler on my Pentium Dualcore E2160 (OC'd to over 3GHz) and now
it's running a Phenom 9600, it's quiet and it runs well (it is all
copper, it's huge and was over £30! - most I've spent on a cooler!).  If
I understand correctly though, Zalman do coolers specifically for media
centre cases that don't have as much room.  Maybe a couple of fans on
fan controllers would help too.

Rob