[ubuntu-uk] How to torrent on a remote machine

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Thu May 1 17:18:04 BST 2008

Javad Ayaz wrote:
[in the context of creating a dedicated torrent machine from an NSLU2]
> so i can install this "debian" via a ubuntu pc?

Yes.

> obv il be using the screen for my buntu pc to install this...or am i
> doing it blindly?

Correct, using the screen on your Ubuntu/Kubuntu PC.

You'll be using the terminal. Learn how to use the terminal on your own
Ubuntu PC first, then you'll be able to connect to other machines and
use the terminal to control other machines such as the NSLU2. Go to the
Applications menu - Accessories - Terminal and have a look at these
tutorials:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/3/9/16838/14935

For example, I rent a server in Texas, whilst I live in Gloucestershire.
Obviously I can't see the screen in Texas from here, so I use the
terminal and the ssh command to control that server from Gloucestershire.

> The NSLU2  dont really have much mem on board do they so i need a very
> small OS right?

Correct. Also the NSLU2 uses a completely different type of processor,
and has no hard drive - it uses USB sticks, external USB hard drives or
memory cards instead.

Thankfully, lots of people have already taken the trouble to create a
version of the Debian operating system, stripped down and ready to use
on the NSLU2. Debian is very similar to Ubuntu (Ubuntu is based on
Debian) so right now, you should learn how to use the terminal in Ubuntu
before worrying about all that.

--
Andrew Oakley