[ubuntu-uk] Port 2000 on Ubuntu

Seif Attar iam at seifattar.net
Thu May 1 15:02:49 BST 2008

Huw Selley wrote:
> Hi Seif,
>
> On 1 May 2008, at 12:18, Seif Attar wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>> 2000 nobody /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/nbdrootd /opt/ltsp/images/
>> amd64.img
>>

> That looks like an artifact from LTSP (http://www.ltsp.org/). I
> suspect someone has installed it into /opt (from parsing that line
> above). That .img file is probably an etherboot image or suchlike for
> booting via PXE.
> I have never installed the ubuntu package for LTSP so I don't know if
> it would put it's files in /opt but I would assume no and that it's
> been manually installed.
>

>> just googled what nndrootd does, and i guess mythtv installed it? or
>> it's used by it.
>>
>> if i open the address host:2000 in a browser on a remote machine, i
>> get
>> an exe.part file, if i do it localy, iget a bin.part file, i ran
>> strings
>> on the files hoping to find something useful, all it had was NBDMAGIC,
>> why is inetd and ltsp returning these files? is this normal behaviour?
>>

> Did you install LTSP? If not then it looks like someone has, otherwise
> it's normal. Does anyone else have access to that box?

thanks for the reply, I have mythtv installed, after upgrading to hardy
and option became avaiable in the mythtv control center, where you can
have the master backend run as a diskless server, I enabled that and
built an image (not knowing what the techonlogy behing it is :).

The package ltsp-server is installed, if i try to remove it, it tries to
remove the packages mythbuntu-diskless-server, so it is mythbuntu
running that service on port 2000 as for why the /opt, well ltsp is not
installed there, it just stores the images in /opt/.
but that still doesn't explain why going to the hostname:2000 in firefox
or epiphany from an ubuntu machine gives me that exe file. I guess i
need a good understanding of  how ltsp works and why it would return
such a file, or is it a gecko thing maybe?

the diskless-server didnt work anyways! :S so i will remove the service
for now and try setting it up later!

that was scary, but i discovered new things which i like, iftop, ntop,
snort, ltsp ;)

thanks again
Seif A.