[ubuntu-uk] Port 2000 on Ubuntu

Seif Attar iam at seifattar.net
Thu May 1 11:57:58 BST 2008

hello,

I installed nessus on one ubuntu machine, and set the target to another
ubuntu machine on the lan, after it finished, the report had a lot of
warning and  threats, but I assume they are ok, as they are services i
know, and that i want running, one thing worried is a service running on
port 2000, nessus said it's sometimes used by trojan horses, my first
test was to access the server on that port with a web browser (epiphany)
the reponse was a file download "eX87YDOb.exe.part", which got me really
worried now! running "sudo netstat -n -tap | grep 2000" returns
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:2000            0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN      6096/inetd

so if it's inetd, where does that file download come from?? should i be
worried? any links on what to do when you think your machine is
compromised?

Thanks in advance,
Seif A.