[ubuntu-uk] special characters for french in ubuntu and open-office

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Mar 30 10:03:52 BST 2008

James,

James Grabham wrote:

> OK, I'm writing a piece of coursework for french, and I can insert â, é
> etc by going in open-office  "insert > special character", but this is a
> bit irritating when you need to keep doing it.  Is there a way to make a
> keyboard shorcut for special characters?

I know you've had some suggestions already, but, if you are using Gnome,
another way is to define a 'compose' key. You can do that in
System->Keyboard->Layout Options.

I've defined mine as the menu key.

You can then construct accented characters by holding down the compose
key and typing e ', to get é, o ^ to get ô, etc. The combinations are
all fairly intuitive.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold