[ubuntu-uk] special characters for french in ubuntu and open-office

Wulfy wulfmann at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Mar 30 04:34:19 BST 2008

James Grabham wrote:

> OK, I'm writing a piece of coursework for french, and I can insert â,
> é  etc by going in open-office  "insert > special character", but this
> is a bit irritating when you need to keep doing it.  Is there a way to
> make a keyboard shorcut for special characters?
>
> Thanks
>
> James
Which keyboard layout do you have now?

I have the United Kingdom gb Generic 105-key (Intl) PC and I can get
(almost) all the European language characters.

Try pressing <AltGR>; e which should give é.  If it does, the other
accents are on the punctuation keys around the right end of the keyboard.

Use <AltGr> like you use the shift key...

";" gives acute
"'" gives circumflex
"#" gives grave
"[" gives umlaut
"]" gives tilde
"=" gives cedila

There are (lots) more but you can find them yourself...  :@)

[Hint: <shift> letter gives capitals as normal like É...  <shift><AltGr>
gives different accents...]

HTH

--
Blessings