[ubuntu-uk] Any LEGO MINDSTORM NXT users here?

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Sat Mar 29 04:20:43 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 02:40 +0000, Ronnie Tucker wrote:
> One file is in /etc/udev/rules.d/ and the other is in
> /etc/security/console.perms.d (I had to create the console.perms.d
> folder myself)
>
> The two files were taken from:
> http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/nbc/doc/index.html
> (bottom of the page)

Do you get any /dev/legonxt-* nodes created when you insert
the device? What does your syslog have to say on the matter?

> I downloaded the Device-USB TAR file but when I follow the first
> instruction:
>
> perl Makefile.PL
>
> I get:
>
> Can't locate Inline/MakeMaker.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl
> /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5
> /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8
> /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at Makefile.PL line 3.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 3.
>
> I did a file search and I have MakeMaker.pm in my usr/share/perl
> folder... hmm...

The Inline/ prefix is a little strange. I think it means that you
are trying to use a perl module that does some crazy magic
to embed another language, or embed itself in to another. That
may be wrong though.

Small tip for you, when you get one of these errors use the following
algorithm to find out what the package should be

  1. find the name of file it is looking for, in this case
     "Inline/MakeMaker.pm"
  2. Drop the ".pm" suffix, "Inline/MakeMaker"
  3. Lowercase everything, "inline/makemaker"
  4. convert all the "/" to "-", inline-makemaker
  5. prefix with "lib" and suffix with "-perl",
     "libinline-makemaker-perl"
  6. apt-cache search that.
  7. If it's not found then drop one component, "libinline-perl",
     and search for that.
  8. If still not found repeat 7 until there is only one component.

If you get nothing it means that it probably isn't packaged, or it's
special in some way, so hit google to find it.

It appears as though this isn't packaged, and google doesn't lead
to any direct links. If you search around I'm sure you can find where
it lives.

Thanks,

James