[ubuntu-uk] Persuading a school to switch

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Mar 28 18:36:05 GMT 2008

Iain Lane wrote:
> Stephen O'Neill wrote:
>> Dianne Reuby wrote:
>> | So we need to emphasis the availability of paid support from Canonical
>> | when "selling" to customers such as schools and small businesses.
>>

>> Good point. If someone walked into a job managing an Ubuntu network with
>> only MS experience are there courses in the UK that bridge the knowledge
>> gap?
>>

> How odd. A school wouldn't expect to hire a teacher who couldn't teach,
> so why would it hire a network admin who can't run the software on its
> machines? If this is happening, then there is a problem with the hiring
> of technical staff who do not have the appropriate skillset.

I do wonder if the previous technical staff have just left but not
actually documented anything or advised what their job spec should
include (i.e. Linux support experience).  In that case it's probably
likely that someone with just a Windows background would come in and
want to get rid of everything (unless they're the type who are keen to
learn about anything and everything).

Rob