[ubuntu-uk] Good printed reference books for FOSS applications?

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Thu Mar 27 15:01:32 GMT 2008

In the schools thread, I mentioned that getting people to use
cross-platform FOSS software such as OpenOffice and The GIMP is an ideal
first step towards sinking the Microsoft monopoly mindset.

In order for people to migrate, they need confidence; confidence that I
think best comes from a good manual, reference or tutorial book - and I
mean a proper printed book, not a web-based guide.

So, what good reference/tutorial books can people recommend for common
cross-platform FOSS replacements for common applications?

I'll try to compile these into a web page for future reference.

I'll start with the one I've already stated:

Application: OpenOffice Writer
Type: Word processor
Replaces: MS Word
Title: "OpenOffice.org 2.x Writer Guide"
ISBN: 978-1-9213-2000-2
Price: <£15 inc. delivery
Available from: http://www.lulu.com/content/690763

Any more? In particular I'm after a good GIMP manual.

--
Andrew Oakley