[ubuntu-uk] Compositing performance hit

Kris Douglas webbox.uk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 23:57:19 GMT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 8:20 PM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs
<dmitrij.ledkov at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 7:47 PM, Chris Rowson <christopherrowson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello people,
> >
> > Quick question. Does running Ubuntu with compositing enabled effect
> > the overall performance of the system?
> >
> > I'm running the following spec laptop with Hardy:
> >
> > Pentium IV mobile 2.0Ghz
> > 512 MB RAM
> > Nvidia Geforce 440
> >
> > Desktop effects are enabled by default as soon as I enable the nvidia driver.
> >
> > Just wondered if the system was powerful enough?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > --
> > ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com

> With best regards

I could barely work that out with those bloody PGP things... but yes,
there should be very little performance hit. If you are running
anything very intensive, I would turn them off... otherwise you should
be perfectly fine.

By the way, the Start+Tab effect looks cool :)

--
Kris Douglas
 Softdel Limited Hosting Services
 Mail: kris at softdel.net