[ubuntu-uk] Persuading a school to switch

Mac Ammonius.Grammaticus at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 25 20:00:20 GMT 2008

James Grabham wrote:
>> Its got nothing to do with the school, it will be up to the LEA
>> unfortunately.

James >>> I don't think that's right:  schools make their own decisions
these days.  And there's actually no such thing as Local Education
Authorities any more (those ceased to exist as legal entities a couple
of years ago).  So Craig may have some success just in his own school.
Let's hope so!

Craig >>> Welcome!  I think your wish to do something for software
freedom for your school and its students is admirable.  It'll take some
hard work;  and you'll need to be prepared to persevere despite set
backs and lack of interest.  You're going to have to persuade your head
of IT, who'll need to sell the idea of a switch to free software to the
head teacher and senior management team.  You might start by getting
your mates interested in Ubuntu, and doing things with their own
computers that you can all show off to your IT teachers.  And you might
then try letting your teachers know that BECTA recommends schools to
consider free software seriously:

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?RSS&entryid=616

and

http://publications.becta.org.uk/display.cfm?resID=35275&page=1835
(especially paragraphs 6:15 and 6:17)

Very best wishes for the success of your efforts.  But remember the main
thing first of all is for you to have fun getting really good at using
Ubuntu!

Mac