[ubuntu-uk] Capitalising on XP's demise

andy andy at zrmt.com
Tue Mar 25 16:17:26 GMT 2008

Lucy wrote:
> On 25/03/2008, Paul Mellors <paul at paulmellors.net> wrote:
>> This type of stuff really gets on my tits, no offence Josh :)  But stop
>>  fricking MS bashing, if you don't want to use MS products don't, but
>>  there are people out there that do so let em.....
>
> You make a good point in that we should be careful not to insult MS
> and their products when promoting Ubuntu, but Josh didn't actually
> insult them and I don't think that was the aim of his post. Most
> people don't know they have an option other than Windows and IME have
> been very happy to discover an alternative.
>
> Josh: I think it's a great idea, if targeted at the right people in
> the right way. I'm not sure how much influence my MP has, but it would
> be great if I could get him to try Ubuntu! I don't know who else it
> would be worth trying to target though? I don't really know of any
> local organisations in my area.
>
> It would be great if we could tie this into the Hardy release, as
> that's very close to the June deadline.

Targeting MS directly will only serve to create counter-FUD - and MS has
a more powerful marketing machine that ubuntu. ($$$)

I think the focus should be on 'PC' and laptop instead.  The most
important thing is to get a big marketing drive on - that also needs to
be unilateral.  Coverage of non-geeky projects like the "Ingots" will
give ubuntu karma in the business and professional world.

Ubuntu needs to be made easy for people to try out.  We've not got the
marketing $$$ that so many companies rely on to push their software.
Our product placement in 'first life' is poor.  If I were to go into a
PC World, the chances of me coming out with ubuntu are nil.  I don't
know how many people buy their PCs from there, but it's a household brand.

I don't know how far people have got with free CD stand at the counter
of PC world.. but that would be a bigger start (IMHO) that pushing
advertising on the internet (where ubuntu is already strongest).  Local
level support is integral to its success.  We need computer technicians
to be advising people to switch to ubuntu, recommending and endorsing
what is a very stable and useful operating system.

However, I don't think an infrastructure yet exists in the UK for this
to be possible.  I think we need to start building up the ubuntu UK
network to manage this.  There are many good people already advocating
the use of ubuntu.  However, as Alan Pope said on the ubuntu uk podcast
(S01E02), we're all geeks here.  If you're on a mailing list, or on IRC,
you're a geek.

We need to break out and get non-geeks involved in spreading the message
of ubuntu UK - without them necessarily being aware of an ubuntu UK
group at all.  We're all converting our friends and family (and some of
us converting strangers) - but we need friends to be converting friends,
and strangers to be converting strangers.

</speech>

:)

Humanity to others (including me in your replies - please)...