[ubuntu-uk] Capitalising on XP's demise

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 16:18:11 GMT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Lucy <lucybridges at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/03/2008, Paul Mellors <paul at paulmellors.net> wrote:
>  > This type of stuff really gets on my tits, no offence Josh :)  But stop
>  >  fricking MS bashing, if you don't want to use MS products don't, but
>  >  there are people out there that do so let em.....
>
>  You make a good point in that we should be careful not to insult MS
>  and their products when promoting Ubuntu, but Josh didn't actually
>  insult them and I don't think that was the aim of his post. Most
>  people don't know they have an option other than Windows and IME have
>  been very happy to discover an alternative.
>
>  Josh: I think it's a great idea, if targeted at the right people in
>  the right way. I'm not sure how much influence my MP has, but it would
>  be great if I could get him to try Ubuntu! I don't know who else it
>  would be worth trying to target though? I don't really know of any
>  local organisations in my area.
>
>  It would be great if we could tie this into the Hardy release, as
>  that's very close to the June deadline.

Does anyone have any specific suggestions as to how we would do this?
I set up the ubuntu-uk marketing team on launchpad a while ago
https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-uk-marketing with the aim of gathering
together interested people. We came up with some brochures and
leaflets but didn't really manage to distribute them.

We also wrote a magazine article which people could circulate to
local/free newspapers. The article is there but I don't think that
people really bothered to try circulate it.

So I guess that's the problem. People are interested in helping out up
to a point, but when it comes to the crunch it's hard to get people
involved in promotion.... How can we address this and what should we
do better?

Chris