[ubuntu-uk] Pyweek theme vote

Thomas Ibbotson thomas.ibbotson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 12:25:44 GMT 2008

Alan Pope wrote:
> I previously suggested that people in Ubuntu-UK might be interested in
> entering for pyweek..
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-uk/2008-February/010892.html
>
> Well the vote is now on for the theme of the competition.
>
> http://pyweek.org/d/1315/
>
> The options are:-
>
>     * Robot - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSdhDyPhyiU
>     * Shuffle - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jkqDr8T1Qo
>     * Mashed - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQBKpV9emKc
>     * Jig - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga6T-DxOGwA
>     * Formation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE5cnDPnn6k
>
> (with those videos being for inspiration)
>
> So if you fancy joining in you might want to sign up to the pyweek site and
> cast your vote:-
>
> http://pyweek.org/p/9/
>
> Also think about some ideas based around those themes :)
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Ok so here are some ideas off the top of my head. I haven't thought any
of them through, just thought it might be a good way to get some
brainstroming going.

Robot - 2-D picture of a Robot, with main playing area being its body.
You would have to fit cogs or parts in it to make it work, with the
number of parts increasing and the difficulty of putting them together
correctly harder as the levels increase.

Shuffle - A card game (boring idea).

Mashed - A single screen with platforms, a mashed potato would bounce
around the screen collecting little bits of mashed potato, avoiding the
peas and carrots (weird idea).

Jig - I'm a Scottish dancer, so a Scottish dancing game! Press the right
keys at the right time to perform the correct formation for the dance.
(niche, hard to implement).

Formation - Sheep/children/charactors wander randomly round the screen,
player's charactor has to round them up into a certain formation, with
the formations getting more challenging with increasing levels.

I'm really busy at the moment, I have some serious problems with the
code I am writing for an experiment that starts in 2 weeks, and I'm not
here this weekend. I'm in Glasgow Scottish dancing, but as you can
probably tell I'm quite enthusiastic about PyWeek. So I'll help when I can.

Tom