[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu-uk Digest, Vol 35, Issue 41

Paul Midgley paul at midgley.org
Sat Mar 22 14:11:56 GMT 2008

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:44:45 +0000
> From: "Chris Rowson" <christopherrowson at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu distro version
> To: "British Ubuntu Talk" <ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
>> Hello
>>
>>  I am a mechanical engineer and I am writing to ask if there is an
>>  engineering version of ubuntu.
>>
>>  There appears to be lots of other variations but I have not seen and
>>  engineering specific version.
>>
>>  Regards
>>
>>  Paul
>>

> Hi there,
>
> As far as I know there isn't an engineering specific version of
> Ubuntu. It's an interesting idea though.
>
> What sort of software would you expect to find in such a distribution?
> There's a list here which might give some pointers:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuScience
>
> Chris

Thanks Chris this is exactly what I was looking for.

One of the main pieces of software I am looking for is software to create
templates for calculations that carries out the calculations and creates a
nice report. The software I have seen can do one or the other well but not
both

The other software for such a distribution would be:

Cad / Cam
Project management
Finite element
Programming
Office

I am sure there are others but this would be a good start.

Regards

Paul