[ubuntu-uk] 3 Mobile USB modem

Michael Rimicans heed at bigmassiveheed.co.uk
Sat Mar 22 08:59:57 GMT 2008

Hi,

taken from: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=262867

*OK - PRETTY MUCH DISREGARD MOST ALL OF MY ABOVE POSTINGS AS I BRANCHED
OFF THE WRONG TRACKS. MY HUAWEI E220 USB IS NOW WORKING*.

The Huawei E220 is a USB 'dongle' for HSDPA connection through (for me,
anyway) the Vodaphone network in New Zealand.

When inserted into a Ubuntu OS, it is immediately detected as a
SCSI/CDROM type bulk storage device, and the files that are used by
Windows appear attached to the filesystem similar to any other USB
storage device.

Close any window that might be showing you those files. Then unmount the
device (eject the CDROM icon you'll find on the desktop created when you
inserted the device).

All commands I give here are just the commands - you will likely need to
put *'sudo'* in front of them so you have the permissions of root to
carry them out...

Insert the device and give it a chance to settle down (enjoy watching
the lights flash...)

When you insert the device and it gets recognised as a storage device,
it will have created /dev/ttyUSB0. You can see that with:

*ls -la /dev/ttyU**

You will likely only see one entry: ttyUSB0.

To make the modem work, you must first remove the module that is used
for usb-storage devices. You can do that with:

*rmmod usb-storage*

If you are told it is in use, that is an indication you didn't close
windows and eject the device first.

This next command may not be absolutely necessary, but it won't hurt
anything (heh, heh...):

*rmmod usb-serial*

You are now going to re-insert that module, but giving the specific
details of your modem. First, make sure you have the right details by using:

*lsusb*

You should see an entry similar to this in the output:

*Bus 004 Device 004: ID 12d1:1003 *

The Bus and/or Device number might be different for you, but the
important part is the ID. If yours is not 12d1:1003, you'll need to
modify the next command, but I *think* it will be either that or
12d1:1001...

This command will insert the module with the device specific details:

*modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003*

Now, remove the device, wait a bit for things to settle, and then plug
it back in.

I *think* you may now have maybe three entries if you do:

ls -la /dev/ttyU*

Basically, what has been done is that you have removed the initial
inclination to treat the device only as a bulk storage (removing the
module that handles that). You've also manually caused the recognition
of the device (using the modprobe command). So that when you re-plugged
it, it should now be able to work with the *modem* part of the device
addressing it as /dev/ttyUSB0, rather than that being the bulk storage
device.

Use a text editor such as pico to edit or create if necessary the file
to handle the dialling configuration. My /etc/wvdial.conf file looks
like this:

*# wvdial for Vodacom Data. Created by Tazz_tux
# Version 1.0

# Change Log:
#
# Added support for HSDPA.
# Added Headers and version control.

[Dialer Defaults]
Phone = *99***1#
Username = username
Password = password
Stupid Mode = 1
Dial Command = ATDT

[Dialer hsdpa]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 460800
Init2 = ATZ
Init3 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
*

I've only put in the relevant sections - the full file can be found at
the address below this posting.

You can dial the modem with:

*wvdial hsdpa*

If all is happy, you'll see the messages in the terminal window to show
how it is connecting, your IP address, your remote gateway and 2
nameservers the network provides for you.

Do remember the various need for 'sudo' unless you change
ownerships/permissions. In particular, if it looks like you've connected
but are not able to connect to any sites, etc, look for a message
telling you that /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/chap-secrets are not
able to be written to - that may well indicate that you for sure need to
run the wvdial command as sudo (If you are running it as a normal user,
that user would need to have the ability to write to those files for the
connection to be able to work...)

I am writing this while standing on the shoulders of the knowledgeable
and the helpful. In particular, see
http://www.mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=21726 - Post 1 in that
thread, and Tazz_Tux who wrote and maintains it, has been invaluable. Go
there if for no other reason than to get the latest version of wvdial.conf

Enjoy your Huawei E220 under Ubuntu!

Nick