[ubuntu-uk] 3 Mobile USB modem

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Mar 21 20:55:15 GMT 2008

Hi folks,

My dad has just taken out a new mobile contract on Three and as part
of the deal they gave him a 3 Mobile Broadband USB modem (Huawei E220).

Now I've been googling for a while now about this modem but I can't
find any specific instructions on how to get this modem working in the
UK with the 3 Mobile network.  The nearest thing I have found is
either for 3 in Australia, 3 Ireland or for T-Mobile.

The modem is detected and is assigned to /dev/ttyUSB0 and I get the
following in dmesg when I add the modem:

[  485.400000] usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
[  485.560000] usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[  485.564000] option 2-2:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
[  485.564000] usb 2-2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0

I've created a fresh new wvdial.conf file containing the following:

[Dialer Defaults]

Phone = *99***1#
Username = username
Password = password
Stupid Mode = 1
Dial Command = ATDT

[Dialer three]

Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 460800
Init2 = ATZ
Init3 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem

When I try to dial it I get the following:

WvDial<*1>: WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.56
WvModem<*1>: Cannot get information for serial port.
WvDial<*1>: Initializing modem.
WvDial<*1>: Sending: ATZ
WvDial<*1>: Sending: ATQ0
WvDial<*1>: Re-Sending: ATZ
WvDial<Err>: Modem not responding.

I'm stumped now.  It's the first time I've played with anything like
this before and I can't find a definitive how to for this modem, 3
Mobile Broadband in the UK and Ubuntu 7.10.

Has anyone managed to get it working?

Ta,

Rob