[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu UK Podcast Episode 2 recording this weekend.

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Mar 20 22:10:07 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 17:18 +0000, Johnathon Tinsley wrote:
> Secondly, from experience, podcasts tend to be more of a seat-of-your-pants thrown together at-the-last-minute affair...
> There tends to be lots of planning, editing and clip collection, but not far enough in the past that you'll know what'll be in the next one. Might be worth posting on the site as and when you know what will be, but it probably won't go into the podcast itself...

I'm quite proud to say that we actually do a fair amount of planning. We
have a private wiki (so that details don't slip out), irc channel for
content discussion and one where we talk about mirroring
requests/offers. Finally we have a gobby server where we dump the
"current" episode from the wiki during the recording to enable us to
collaboratively edit the rundown and content during the show.

It worked well for episode one, and looks like it will for episode two
as well. Fingers crossed.

When it comes to the editing, Tony does pretty much all of that. Partly
because he has experience in this area, and partly because the rest of
us are rubbish at it :)

I appreciate that in the Ubuntu community the fact that I mentioned
"private" wikis and the like may make some people leap out of their skin
and prepare an incoming email missile to my inbox. I understand that
people might think this is counter intuitive for an open community.
However the reason it's done is to give some element of surprise when
the show is released. If everyone on the list knows what's in the show
before it comes out then we are likely to end up with no audience. I
note that pretty much every other podcast keeps its content private
(other that teasers to aide marketing) until release, so we're not doing
anything out of the ordinary really :)

Of course if anyone decides they want to take part and contribute, we
will let them have access to the necessary stuff to enable full
participation.

Cheers,
Al.