[ubuntu-uk] more questions on Asus Eee

Stephen Courtney stephen at steve-c.co.uk
Tue Mar 18 20:20:57 GMT 2008

Kris Douglas wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Albert Vilella <avilella at gmail.com
> <mailto:avilella at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Has anyone upgraded the RAM and SD of an Asus Eee?
>     Is it worth buying the low-spec one and upgrading RAM and SD oneself?
>     Any preferred SD brand in particular?
>
>     Cheers,
>

> As far as I know, the low spec ones don't support ram upgrades, the low
> spec ones being the surf, which has its ram maxed, I think.

I think it's the 2G Surf model that doesn't allow the RAM upgrade - it's
soldered on. As to the SSD, the first few batches had an empty mini-PCI
Express slot, which could be used to add a larger SSD, but more recent
batches have been missing the interface (presumably to save on costs).
So far as I know, there's no way of telling (without opening it up)
whether a particular Eee PC has the slot or not.

Personally, I'm waiting for the new 900 series to come out, as there may
well be some second-hand bargains on Ebay.

Stephen