[ubuntu-uk] 32-bit chroot on Hardy

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 10:33:17 GMT 2008

Quoting Neil Greenwood <neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com>:

> On 13/03/2008, Neil Greenwood <neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 13/03/2008, Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk> wrote:
>>  > Hi folks,
>>  >
>>  >  I have a pesky app which won't work on 64-bit Hardy.  Rather than mess
>>  >  around installing a completely separate installation of 32-bit Ubuntu or
>>  >  setting up a VM, I thought I'd have a go at setting up a 32-bit chroot.
>>  >
>>  >  It's been a couple of years since I setup a 32-bit chroot, and the only
>>  >  thing I've found that makes any sense is this guide...
>>  >
>>  >  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24575
>>  >
>>  >  I've done the dbootstrap command (substituting hoary for hardy) and it
>>  >  appears to install things.  I then get to the chroot command and type...
>>  >
>>  >  chroot /chroot/
>>  >
>>  >  It then says it can't find /bin/bash, but it's in /chroot/bin/bash.
>>  >
>>  >  I just wondered if anyone had sucessfully got a 32-bit chroot working?
>>  >

>> I got one working by following the instructions at
>>  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DebootstrapChroot. These
>>  instructions say that dchroot is deprecated. Maybe they'll help you
>>  get a working system.
>>
>>  If you do, it's probably worth adding a note to the forum thread to
>>  help anyone else who has the problem.
>>
>>  Hwyl,
>>
>> Neil.
>>

> P.S. I haven't tried hardy. I got this working on gutsy.

It looks like there is a package for Hardy (debootstrap 1.0.8), if all
else fails I'll just have to hang on until Hardy's fully released or
just install a 32-bit version of Hardy in another partition (not ideal
as I have 4GB memory and it doesn't appear to support anything more
then 3.5GB on 32-bit and I'm not sure if it's likely to make the
system unstable or not).

Rob