[ubuntu-uk] [Marketing] How to increase OSS Exposure

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Mar 11 20:27:40 GMT 2008

Andy wrote:
> On 11/03/2008, andy <andy at zrmt.com> wrote:
>>  Does anyone have an ideas how we should go about this?
> An idea came to me while watching TV.
> Channel 5 have this thing called "Your News"[1], maybe we should
> contact them, might not make it in time for anything about Hardy's
> release but might be able to organise something for the release after
> that.
>>  Is our current
>>  growth rate acceptable/sustainable or should we be pushing for increased
>>  growth rates?
> More is good.
> One of the main problems is the public sector are locked against us.
> Many of the government agencies require the public to use .doc files
> if you want to fill out stuff online[2], and there is the lack of
> anything non Microsoft in education :(

Or a very small amount of anything non-Microsoft in education - for
instance the handful of schools running Karoshi, Moodle, LTSP or things
along those lines.  I'd say it's probably a small percentage at the moment.

> We need to somehow combat the public sectors insistence that we use Windows.
> We are not even on a level playing field here. FSFE don't appear to
> have do much. I asked them about the BBCs windows only software and
> they said it wasn't a priority. The UK is under-represented.

Might be worth e-mailing the Open Source Consortium about it, they seem
to be interested in doing things - just look at the big stink they quite
rightly kicked up about the iPlayer.  What gets me is that they're
supporting the iPod Touch & iPhone before Linux!!!

Surely there's more Linux & Mac users out there than iPhone/iPod Touch

> Oh well.

There's a fair few of us doing different bits and pieces, although
sometimes it can be disheartening that the word isn't getting across. :-(

> [1] http://www.fivetvonline.tv/your-news.php
> [2] http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints/data_protection.aspx

I'll have a look at the links later, maybe the Five News idea might be a
good one.