[ubuntu-uk] Music to your ears, something new for the UK

Colin McCarthy binarysignal at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 20:17:03 GMT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 8:07 PM, Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk> wrote:

> Ciemon Dunville wrote:
> > On 11/03/2008, Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> >> Just a comment on the quality. The sound levels seem inconsistent
> >>  between the voices and the music. I turned down the volume while the
> >>  intro music was playing then I could hardly hear the voices when they
> >>  came on. I downloaded the ogg/low version, FYI.
> >>
> >>  Otherwise, really great effort! Keep them coming.
> >
> > Thanks Tony,
> >
> > I was particularly quiet, but that'll be fixed for episode 2
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Ciemon
> >

> I presume you should be able to set a target level (can't remember what
> level we use at work) and then make sure it stays around that sort of
> level (BBC use PPM6 which is about 8dB according to this page -
> http://www.bbcradioresources.com/TechnicalSpecificationBWAV/index.html).
>
> Rob

Back when Kent LUG experimented with it's KLUGcasts (which did feature one
of Ubuntu-UK's presenters) I used The Conversations Networks Levelator (
http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator/) to sort out the levels from
a skype recorded podcast.  It worked very very well considering our levels
were all over the place!

Might we worth trying, as could save a lot of post production time.

Colin