[ubuntu-uk] Phenon 9600 unstable on Ubuntu 7.10

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Sun Mar 9 16:42:42 GMT 2008

Hi folks,

I wondered if anyone has seen any reports of stability problems on the
AMD Phenon 9600 CPU with Ubuntu 7.10?

I've upgraded my PC this weekend to a Phenom 9600 running on an MSI
motherboard with AMD chipset (it's an AM2+ motherboard with the standard
AMD790FX chipset on it).  I've had nothing but issues with it.

I've reinstalled Ubuntu 7.10 a couple of times, tried 3 different video
cards (ATI Radeon X300, NVidia GeForce 7200GS and a ATI All-In-Wonder
X800GT) and nothing is completely stable.  I keep getting random freezes
(which I can't seem to replicate).

I've checked the CPU temp and that is about 35 degrees and it has 4GB
memory in there from my previous system which was working fine.

So I'm a bit stumped.  I've done a Google search and found something
relating to the network card but it's a different card to what I have on
the board.

Just wondered if anyone had heard anything before I look at trying
another distro (maybe Gentoo or SUSE).

Rob