[ubuntu-uk] SwapBoost - A great idea or a terrible misgiving?

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sat Mar 8 18:41:25 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 17:10 +0000, James Saveker wrote:

> Whilst browsing the interweb today I came across this shell script
> called SwapBoost.
>
> http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/07/02/swapboost-v01alpha-early-testers-wanted/

<snip>

Everything you've said has already been posted in comments to his site
as far as I can see. Although many are somewhat rude and misguided
(flash doesn't have _that_ short a life), they have a point.

> So I guess my question is do you think that even though this chap may be
> a little wrong in his approach the basic premise would benefit some
> Linux users on older systems lacking lot's of RAM?

Nope, not really. It's much better to load less stuff in RAM or have
more RAM than load to much and have to swap all the time.

Cheers,
Al.