[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Minimal, Lighttpd, Perl CGI, PHP and & MySQL with Tiny Memory

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Thu Mar 6 17:14:04 GMT 2008

I've written a guide to installing Ubuntu Server, Lighttpd (an
alternative to the Apache web server), Perl CGI, PHP and & MySQL on a
machine (or virtual machine) with 64MB of memory or less.

http://www.aoakley.com/articles/2008-03-06-ubuntu-minimal-memory.php

Comments very much appreciated, in particular the MySQL config.

Although Ubuntu does provide a LAMP default install in Ubuntu Server
edition, this requires 256MB memory. In particular, Apache and
especially the default MySQL install are real memory hogs, and are
designed for reasonably heavy-use environments. I saw around 200MB RAM
in use with no users connected!

My config, in contrast, is designed for test/development environments or
very low-use websites, typically serving no more than 6 concurrent users
and only simple SQL requests. My tests under Ubuntu 6 LTS Server showed
less than 34MB of memory in use.

In particular, my config is suitable for very cheap VPS hosting accounts
such as vpsville.ca , tektonic.net , cheapvps.co.uk and so forth -
basically your own root-access Internet server for less than five quid a
month!

--
Andrew Oakley