[ubuntu-uk] setting up dual screen with a dual head graphics card

Adam Bagnall ajb35 at kent.ac.uk
Wed Mar 5 20:34:29 GMT 2008

Farran wrote:
> Hi all, especially Rob cos I saw he mentioned this...
>
> how do I get my nVidia GT8600 to do dual screen? There's a DVI port
> and a VGA port, but only one of them will give an image at a time when
> two monitors are plugged in - the DVI. Why is this? The screen setup
> doesn't detect the second screen.
> As far as I know, i have not installed twinview or anything else
> manually: don't know if it comes pre-installed...
>
> Thanks in advance if anyone can help :D
>
> ===============================
> Farran Lee
> I'm only 15 :-P

I recently set up dual head on Ubuntu for a friend using an nvidia card,
I can't remember the exact details but I'll see if I can help.

1. run "gksudo nvidia-settings" either from a terminal or by pressing
alt+F2.
2. Go to the "x server display configuration" section and click the
"detect displays" button
Here's where I can't remember exactly because I don't have dual displays
but:
3. Set display mode to twinview
4. Tick the "enable xinerama" checkbox
5. Click the "save to x configuration file" button and merge changes
when prompted.
6. Restart your Xserver and hope. (If you've got nothing important open
then just hit ctrl+alt+backspace)
7. ???
8. Profit!

Regards,