[ubuntu-uk] Podcast Transcription How-To

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Fri Jun 27 14:52:54 BST 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 14:19 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After the very useful thready yesterday Dave and I created a brief
> how-to, to get people started on Launchpad and Bazaar for podcast
> transcription. I also created a screencast but the audio got all out of
> sync so it drifts towards the end. I've put it online and if I get a
> chance I'll re-record it too.
>
> Comments/suggestions/edits most welcome!
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PodcastTranscription

Hi Alan,

A little correction about the bzr usage. If you use "bzr branch" to
get the original code the "bzr update" doesn't keep you up to date
with launchpad, "bzr pull" would do that instead.

Instead you should grab the code with "bzr checkout" instead, then
"bzr update" will do what you want.

If you already have a branch that you got with "bzr branch", then
running "bzr bind" should fix this up and make it just like you
used "bzr branch".

(Just in case there is a bug here and "bzr bind" complains that there
is no location given then pass the command the URL to the branch,
and let me know so that I can fix it).

A couple more pointers for anyone that is interested in bzr. If you
run "bzr lp-login <your lp id>" then you will be able to get read/write
access to the shorter "lp:" URLs that launchpad shows you (assuming you
have write access to the branch that is).

Also, using "bzr+ssh://" instead of "sftp://" will be more efficient.

If anyone has any bzr questions then #bzr on freenode is very helpful.

Thanks,

James