[ubuntu-uk] Post install additions

Dean Sas dean at deansas.org
Tue Jun 24 22:29:37 BST 2008

Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's a question for the group. If you install a clean Ubuntu system
> for yourself (or perhaps someone else), what are the key things you add
> to the system after, to get a "works for me" desktop?
>
> Here's my list:-
>
> Add the following repo(s):-

* gnome-do ppa

> Install the following apps:-
>

> 	ssh - to remotely logon to each machine
> 	gnome-do - fast launcher
Me too.

> 	banshee-1.0 - downloading podcasts and music manager

I'm going to give banshee a try actually. I've subscribed to the The
Podcast recently actually. It's very good.

* vim-full
* Thunderbird and thunderbird-enigmail
* Gnumeric and Abiword (not a fan of open office), also use google docs
* xchat-gnome for IRC
* postr for uploading photos to flickr
* bzr for working on various projects

> Firefox extensions

* The delicious one
* Firebug

> Add data
>
> 	Pidgin logons - for msn
> 	ssh keys - to let me logon to machines without passwords

Ditto, but for jabber too.
* gpg keys
* screenrc (though maybe I should just use terminator for local use)
* GDM theme
* A photo of me for the gdm theme, and pidgin etc.

I have to go and enable spatial nautilus, desktop_as_home_dir and single
click open to feel at home too.