[ubuntu-uk] [IMPORTANT] Ubuntu UK Bug Jam?

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Tue Jun 24 17:56:28 BST 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 18:12 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You may have seen this [0] announcement from Jono about the upcoming
> Global Ubuntu Bug Jam, this August 8th through 10th (Friday to Sunday).
>
> If you don't know what a Bug Jam is then I suggest you follow the links
> contained in both Jonos and Daniels [1] messages to the LoCo contacts
> mailing list.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for bringing this up.

> Questions:-
>
> 1) Anyone fancy helping run a Bug Jam in the UK?

Definitely. I'm still wanting to get a packaging Jam organised, but
events are conspiring to slow me down.

> 2) Shall we have more than one at various places around the UK?

I think that if we can get more than one organised that will be great.

For people who are unable to attend any real life event there will be
lots of activity on IRC. We could have a virtual UK event alongside
the global virtual event as well. (i.e. there will be loads of people
in #ubuntu-bugs, we could use #ubuntu-uk for discussions amongst
ourselves as well.)

> 3) Suggestions for venues which can accommodate a number of people over
> that period?

Yeah, I'm not sure. I have a couple of ideas for Bristol that could
accommodate a few people if anyone is interested in the South West.
They're not great venues though, I don't think.

Another thing would be whether we had a focus or two. In order to help
share knowledge it's easier if people can be working in the same area.
This means that we could focus on rhythmbox bugs, or anything to do with
cd burning, or confirming bugs from old releases on Hardy/Intrepid,
or closing "Incomplete" bugs that don't have the needed information.
We don't have to have one topic for everyone, but if there is something
you would like to work on (your favourite app, an app you have reported
several bugs against that have not had much attention), then speak up
and we could look for areas to attack around that. Also, with advance
warning we can approach people knowledgeable in the package (maintainer,
upstream, Debian maintainer, other distros), and get some collaboration
going, so making the day more productive.

Thanks,

James