[ubuntu-uk] Post install additions

Michael Maclean michael at no-surprises.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 13:45:46 BST 2008

Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's a question for the group. If you install a clean Ubuntu system
> for yourself (or perhaps someone else), what are the key things you add
> to the system after, to get a "works for me" desktop?
<snip>

For me:

ubuntu-restricted-extras - MP3 codec, mainly, but some other stuff
vim-full - the ultimate text editor!
ssh - remote logins
Thunderbird - far nicer than Evolution, IMO
Inkscape - vector graphics editor
Apache/PHP/MySQL/Xdebug - PHP development environment
KCacheGrind - used with Xdebug
Skype - I hate freedom*
Wireshark - Network diagnostics
KRDC - VNC client. The GNOME version of this doesn't work too well IME.
Audacity - audio editor
UFRaw - Camera RAW processing
Hugin - Panorama creator

In Firefox:

Firebug - The ultimate web developer tool
Web developer toolbar - miscellaneous useful stuff
Adblock Plus - get rid of all the nonsense
TwitterFox - Twitter client

Pidgin accounts
Email accounts for Thunderbird
SSH keys