[ubuntu-uk] Sir Alan Sugar: "it's too late" for Linux

Kris Marsh moogman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 12:49:51 BST 2008

A few random ramblings...

Alan talked about "Microsoft being in every office", although it
interests me that he then specifically mentions that "everyone uses
Word, Excel, ..." - I guess an operating system isn't really the
important thing at all, it's the applications that are used. A shift
to ODF in Microsoft Office - if it ever happens, an if it's a 'clean
shift', without the traditional Embrace, Extend, Extinguish - would
smash this lock in necessity. However, I do think Microsoft Office is
currently the best office suite on the market presently. Whether it's
worth paying that much for it is a different question, and at least
this would promote decent competition in the office suite world,
whereby Office would have to stay ahead by feature and technical merit
alone.

Interestingly, I remember maybe one or two years ago doing a search on
the BBC website for "linux", and receiving maybe one or two results.
Now we see 11 pages[http://search.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/results.pl?uri=%2F&scope=all&go=toolbar&q=linux]
- not sure how relevant that is, however I do see a lot more F/OSS and
Linux visibility in newspapers and news websites, which seems to
suggest progress.

I think it's important to note that we're talking about Linux on the
desktop here. Linux has been a viable and generally preferable option
for the server world for a couple of years now. History shows that
whatever starts in the business and back-end world ends up finding
it's way through the servers, to the corporate desktops, and then
finally down to home desktops. I do expect this to happen with Linux,
but I don't think 'relevant penetration' will happen for a good few
years.

Interesting viewing though, and I didn't actually realise that he was
the chairman of Amstrad :-)

Kris