[ubuntu-uk] Running Cutting Edge Windows PC Games on Linux Machines

Kris Douglas webbox.uk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 00:39:06 BST 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Kris Douglas <webbox.uk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:54 PM, Chris Coulson
> <chrisccoulson at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 18:13 +0100, Kris Douglas wrote:
>>> An internal network should have no problem, even at 100mbit, but
>>> people were taking about this working on the web? No way.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kris Douglas
>>>  Softdel Limited Hosting Services
>>>  Web: www.softdel.net
>>>  Mail: kris at softdel.net
>>>
>>> Company No. 6135915
>>> Registered in England
>>>
>> It would be pretty neat if this ran on a virtual Windows and virtual
>> network. You'd only need a single box then
>>

> Crysis on VMware... ouch.
>
> Still.. I'm trying this out now... Sounds interesting.. may be a
> solution for cycling skills on EVE.
>

> --
> Kris Douglas
>  Softdel Limited Hosting Services
>  Web: www.softdel.net
>  Mail: kris at softdel.net
>
> Company No. 6135915
> Registered in England

In review: The system is completely unusable for any game, I was
running EVE Online, an MMORPG, which runs at hundreds of FPS on my
main machine, I reduced the resolution to 1024x768, began the
broadcaster and connected over the home network, the average data rate
of the broadcaster app being 2mbit/s. Indeed, the game was visible,
but it was also completely uncontrollable. The LAN was keeping up
fine, even at 320x240 (PDA Resolution!) the system was incredibly slow
and unresponsive.

The system is a clever idea, but it doesn't work for the intended
task. It's basically just a DirectX capable VNC system.

 Mail: kris at softdel.net

Company No. 6135915
Registered in England