[ubuntu-uk] 64-bit Kubuntu and Speedtouch modem

Wulfy wulfmann at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 06:12:33 BST 2008

I'm with Tiscali for my broadband.  They supply a Speedtouch 330 modem
to connect.  It's a USB modem...

Currently, I'm running Kubuntu Hardy 32-bit and I'm thinking that with
Intrepid, I'd like to go 64-bit (my CPU is 64-bit).  That will require a
re-install rather than an upgrade, which is what I've been doing since Edgy.

If I move all the speedtch* files, the dial script and the secrets files
to the appropriate places, will the modem still work with 64-bit
Kubuntu?  Or will I have to find 64-bit replacements?

Also, I have it set up to dial in at boot.  KNeMo can see the modem, but
I can't find the /dev/ entry for it to use Kppp to control it.  This
means that, while I can manually call the dial script if lose my
broadband signal, I have no way to stop it but to reboot.  This can be a
problem if the connection doesn't work (connection is there but no data
flows). So I'd prefer to use Kppp and have starting and stopping the
connection more under my control.  Is that possible?

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo: