[ubuntu-uk] Jing: GUI admin solution? Useful tool or not?

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Jun 9 16:11:49 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 14:29 +0100, Eddie Armstrong wrote:
> > Also the site I am working on isn't specifically for screencasts.
> You 've piqued my curiosity - is there any more info at this stage??

I thought I'd setup a project and team on launchpad to manage it. I'll
add some more detail to those.

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntupeople - team
https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntupeople - project

> And also in addition as well too - back to Jing -  I really think  an
> OSS Jing would be a boon to Ubuntu.

Well we have most of the major components to make that work. We have
decent screencast tools such as recordmydesktop. We can easily do video
conversion (ffmpeg/mencoder etc) and hosting is the other bit we have.
It's really just a case of tying all those together.

> It's not a web site  or just a screencast creator, it seems to be  a way
> of making lightweight screencast type quick replies to a user's question
> and emailing it to them or putting it on a server where they can dl it -
> not necessarily for public access in case business users want to offer
> support this way. A link to their video.,
> <http://video.techsmith.com/jing/latest/demo/introvideo/index.html?keepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=440&width=640>

Indeed. There doesn't seem to be much to it other than gluing together all the bits to be honest.

Cheers,
Al.