[ubuntu-uk] Software Freedom Day, 20 September 2008

Lucy lucybridges at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 16:24:51 BST 2008

On 30/07/2008, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 03:38:09PM +0100, Lucy wrote:
>  > On 30/07/2008, Michael G Fletcher <michael at ilovemylinux.com> wrote:
>  > > Hi Guys and Girls,
>  > >
>  > >  Seeing as we are discussing a lot of community related things lately,
>  > >  anybody been (or already registered) an Ubuntu-UK team for the SFD??
>  >
>  > No strictly Ubuntu, but we [1] are planning to have an event in
>  > Manchester this year [2]. If any northerners want to get involved that
>  > would be great!
>  >

Good questions.

> What restrictions will be in place by the FSUK?
Firstly, I should point out that Manchester FS is an independent organisation.

Secondly, the FSUK doesn't really exist as an organisation (more of an
idea to be implemented), so won't be making any restrictions. Anyway,
I think the idea was for the FSUK to be a kind of umbrella under which
FS user groups could gather, so probably wouldn't ever give out any
rules (although obviously this is not up to me). I'd like it to become
something like lug.org.uk!

>  Will that group allow giving out of Ubuntu CDs?

Hmm, difficult one ;)

Personally, I would love to give out Ubuntu CDs. Unfortunately, when I
made the suggestion on the list others weren't so keen ;) We will
definitely be giving out the openDisc and gNewSense CDs and I'm hoping
to eventually convince the others involved in organising the event
that we should give out Ubuntu CDs too.