[ubuntu-uk] OT: Good Laptop Brands for Linux?

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Wed Jul 30 11:03:59 BST 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 08:00:28PM +0100, Michael Holmes wrote:
> I thought I'd ask here if you dont mind, but does anyone have any
> recommendations on which laptop brands I should go for and which I should
> avoid? Any help appreciated.

In terms of Linux support Brand isn't the thing to look at, there is
too much variety in what's in the different models. There are a few
places to look for info on how well supported a particular model is.

The Ubuntu laptop testing pages:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam

Googling for the model number and the either linux or ubuntu can
usually find more details.

If you are looking at thinkpads thinkwiki is great (there might be
similar resources for other brands):
http://www.thinkwiki.org/

Unless you're looking at a really new or obscure model someone has
likely tried to put linux on it before and written up how they got
on.

In terms of other stuff (build quality etc.) brand does play a bigger
role. I really like thinkpads (and the quality seems to have survived
the move to lenovo) but they're usually a bit dearer than others with
similar spec. Dells are usually cheaper and still quite well made.

	Robert