[ubuntu-uk] Dual booting (Was: Re: Bug Day)

Kris Marsh moogman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 16:37:56 BST 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 4:05 PM, James Milligan <lake54 at lake54.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply
>
> I asked my Dad before, and I'm actually incredibly surprised, as he said yes
> to installing Ubuntu (fully! Not just WUBI etc)
>
> Is it ok to follow the guide at
> http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first.htm
> ?
>
> Mainly just checking that there aren't any major flaws with it etc.

The stage "Page 2 - Get started - prepare the Vista partition" isn't
really required, as this is possible through the Ubuntu installer (see
below).

The stage "Page 4 - Choose a bootloader" isn't generally necessary, as
the Ubuntu bootloader (GRUB) works fine. Feel free to use the Windows
one if you have a specific requirement etc.

I'm not sure this walk-through guide is necessary. To install Ubuntu,
you basically plonk the CD in, reboot, click 'Install' and follow the
instructions :-)

> Also, can someone advise me on a Windows program that can partition my drive
> more effectively than the built-in one with Windows? I've got a ~300 GB HDD,
> 293 is registering (that's pretty much normal), I've got ~65 GB free, but
> can only create a new partition of 2GB (shrinking the main partition by 2GB,
> therefore expanding unused space).

<snip>

There is a partition editor as part of the Ubuntu live CD - in the
menu System->Administration->Partition Manager. It will also give you
the opportunity to resize your current partitions when you go to
install Ubuntu. In the past, I've always just used the
Ubuntu-installed partition manager.

Enjoy :-)

Kris