[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu compatible laptops for under £400

Matt Jones matt at mattjones.me.uk
Wed Jul 23 20:31:21 BST 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 8:01 PM, Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm on the lookout for a laptop for work which I can dual boot with
> Vista & Ubuntu.  I'm not fussed if it's an AMD or Intel based laptop but
> I would like something with at least 1GB memory, an 80GB or higher hard
> drive and a dual core CPU.
>
> I just wondered if anyone could suggest such a laptop?
>
> I was looking at the eSystem notebook at £279 from PC World with the 13"
> screen but unfortunately it's not very well supported on Ubuntu.
>
> Other options I was thinking of was the Acer Aspire 2920 with a 12.1"
> screen or some of the HP Turion based notebooks at around £350.
>
> The most I can really afford is about £375 although I could stretch to
> £400 if it's got a smaller screen (I'd really like something with a 12"
> to 14" screen so it's easier to lug around) or a quicker CPU etc.
>
> Just wondered if anyone knew of anything around at the moment that would
> come close?
>
> I did have a look at Novatech's site, they seem pretty good at £300
> without an OS but I wasn't sure about the on board SIS video card and if
> it is well supported or not on Linux? (in a case of a notebook without
> OS, I could get an OEM copy of Vista separately).
>
> Unfortunately Vista is going to be a requirement as I have to support it
>  at the sites I'm covering.
>
> Rob

One of the dell 1525's? Nice machines and available with Ubuntu, although it
probably is a bit big. The other option is the vostro 1310 from the business
range, which is one I am thinking of getting, as my laptop is not really a
laptop. Pentium 4's are not good for battery life!

It has a 13" widescreen, and starts from about £230 exvat. Ring Dell to
haggle on the upgrades!
Mj