[ubuntu-uk] Asterisk friendly VoIP providers in UK

Dave Walker DaveWalker at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 22 15:15:08 BST 2008

Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm looking at building myself an Asterisk box so I can learn more on
> how it works and also help provide a cheaper phone solution to one of my
> clients (it's kind of a favour I'm doing them as part of the service
> contract I am providing them).
>
> Now traditionally I've used Vonage with their pre-configured boxes (in
> fact I'm going to get myself another Vonage box in the next couple of
> days).  I just wondered though if anyone could recommend a VoIP provider
> (is it a SIP provider?) that supports Asterisk, doesn't have a minimum
> monthly charge or super expensive call charges?
>
> Ta,
>
> Rob
Hi Rob,

Any sip provider should be Asterisk compatible, and you can certainly
find rates MUCH cheaper than vonage.  It's also worth noting that it
doesn't need to be a provider from the UK, and using asterisk you can
produce least cost routing of calls, and overflow to other trunks.

For non-bulk termination I would consider looking at the following:
* voipcheap.com (very cheap, max 2 concurrent calls [or any other
betamax or Finarea company])
* sipgate.com (free DDI, and 0800 dial out)
* voip.co.uk (monthly charge - nice chaps run it)

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker